Report from Thailand
The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
As the Corona virus or COVID-19 spread rapidly around the world including Thailand, we have been on lockdown from 31st March 2020 to 30th April 2020. A curfew has announced that people are not allowed to leave the house from 10:00 PM to 04:00 AM. In the part of the association, there was no monthly party meeting of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand in April, as well as many DXpeditions around the world would be canceled or postponed indefinitely.
The situation of COVID-19 in Thailand is that the government is still able to control the epidemic very well. Thai citizens are aware of daily life, and keep everyone at home. Therefore, the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand (RAST) has organized the "STAY HOME and Turn on Your Radio" activity. On the VHF and HF bands, and with a daily signal test at 144.9375 MHz and 7.128 MHz starting at 1300 GMT, members will rotate into Net Control and use the call sign HS0AC throughout April.
SSTV activity during STAY at HOME
IO86 Satellite during STAY at HOME
In late March 2020, the E21EIC’s station (also club callsign E20AX and Contest callsign E2A) was renovated in Bangkok. The original antenna has been in use for more than 10 years, belonging to the Force12 type C-4XL. There are many friends come to join and help this time including HS1FVL, HS1JZT, HS0KRM, HS3NBR, HS5NMF, HS5XWY, E21FYK, E23NEZ, E24MMU, E24MMV, and E25JAI.
Take Force12 C-4XL down
In the morning, the C-4XL aerial antenna was removed from the 30 meters high tower, and after everything was brought down by heavy rain caused the entire team to take a break. Then the new antenna assembly, which were JK-MID-TRI antenna (3-el 20 m, 4-el 15 m, 5-el 10 m) and Creative Design CY-402 (2-el 40 m).
Install JK-MID-TRI Antenna
In the afternoon after the rain stopped, we have installed the antenna, starting from the JK-MID-TRI, installed at the top of the tower, followed by CY-402. In the installation there were some problems due to the narrow space, but we were able to finish installing the antenna, and checked the VSWR come out very well. The side of the Tower 1 is equipped with C-3 antenna (20 m-15 m-20 m), fixed the direction to Japan at a height of 15 meters.
E23NEZ, HS0KRM, HS5XWY, HS5NMF
Winch for Antenna
HS3NBR and HS0KRM adjust CY-402 Antenna
CY-402 up on tower at night
Antennas at E21EIC’s Station
As for the Tower 2, the top antenna is Nagara T3-3VX for the WARC band (30 m-17 m-12 m). HS3NBR has modified 5-el 10m Yagi antenna and installed additional rotators on the side of the Tower 2 to allow the antenna to rotate between Europe and Japan.
The installation has been completed at approximately 09:00 PM, which is all done and ready for the CQ WPX SSB 2020 and JIDX CW 2020 competitions.
For the E21EIC’s station, it is designed as a Single-Op 2 Radios (SO2R) contest using 4O3A band pass filters.
Filters system at E21EIC
For the CQ WPX SSB competition on the weekend March 28th-29th, 2020, I participated in a Single-Op All Band High Power competition with a call sign E2A. The CQ WPX was one of the Qualify WRTC 2020, and the condition was quite good. On Saturday I was able to make contacts with Europe, America, Africa, and Asia. On Sunday, the condition was not as good as Saturday. E2A made 1,560 QSOs and 2.4 million points.
CQ WPX SSB 2020 Contest Breakdown
I had an opportunity to participate in the Japan International DX Contest CW (JIDXCW) 2020 competition, April 10th-11th, 2020. I competed in the Single-Op All Band High Power and used the call sign E21EIC in this program. JIDX Contest is a fun program and can make contacts only with Japan. As a result, I made 652 QSOs and 91,653 points.
Japan International DX Contest CW (JIDXCW) 2020 competition Breakdown
E21EIC and YB9AY
Finally, the new antennas work well. In addition, the Low Band antenna which is the Creative Design model CD78-5 for the 80 m area will be installed very soon, and I would like to thank everyone who helped install the antennas at the previous E21EIC station.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019