Report from Thailand
The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
The spread of COVID-19 has impacted the ability of RAST to hold any Thai Intermediate and Advance Class Examinations for the past 2 years. The last session that RAST did was back in August 2019 which resulted in a significant reduction of new Thai HAMs entering the HF bands, with the exceptions of those who managed to take the US FCC Exams in 2021 to get the reciprocal licenses.
(Left) Work assignments for the examiners by HS1FVL
(Right) Examiners responsible for registration
After 2 years of travel restrictions and strict rules prohibiting the gathering of large crowds, Thailand’s regulator the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has finally granted the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST) the approval to host the Intermediate Class Examination at Bangkok University, in Rangsit Campus, on 5th February 2022, under strict COVID-19 preventions.
(Left) Candidates checking their seat assignments
(Right) Receiving candidate’s identification card
RAST began to accept applications in January 2022 and 101 novice class licensees registered to take part. The interesting aspect about Thai Intermediate Class Examination is that it is split into 2 sections: a theoretical exam which consists of 100 questions in 4 subjects, and a Morse code exam where the candidates have to copy 40 word-groups and 12 number-groups at 8 words per minute (WPM). There are not many countries left in the world where CW is mandatory, but Thailand is still one of the selected few who places great importance in CW.
(Left) Introduction to the Examination given by HS1FVL
(Right) Candidates listening intently during CW exam
As for all the precautionary measures taken against COVID-19, all exam candidates including staff from RAST and NBTC must register with Bangkok University before arrival, be able to demonstrate a Negative ATK results taken within 72 hours before arrival, and had temperatures taken before gaining entrance to the ground. All this, as well as the standard routine of practicing social distancing, using alcohol to sanitize the hands, and wearing masks at all times, which by now have become a second nature to Thai citizens.
On the actual day, 78 candidates from all over the country, including Chiang Rai, Pattani and Phuket provinces, managed to make it to Bangkok University to sit the exam. A total of 52 candidates passed the CW exams with 25 achieving full marks.
25 candidates who passed the CW exam at a speed of 8WPM with full score and receiving the DIY CW Micro Straight Key developed by CW Morse Paddle, Mr Khunpong Sorsomboon (E20UXA), along with RAST President Dr Jack Hantongkom (HS1FVL) and NBTC Officer
The NBTC will announced the official result of the Intermediate Class Examination 1 month after the exam date, so by the 5th March 2022. But one thing is certain. This set of candidates managed to break 2 Thai records that day. The first, for the highest number of candidates to have passed the CW test at any given Intermediate Class Examination in Thailand, and the second, the highest number of candidates to have passed CW with full marks at any given Intermediate Class Examination in Thailand that was ever held. This just goes to show how dedicated these HAMs are to obtain their Intermediate Class licenses and their interests in CW. Hopefully we can all look forward to seeing more HS and E2 prefixes on the air from March 2022 onwards, especially on the lower end of the spectrum.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- IARU R3 YOTA Camp Pattaya, Thailand
- Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
- JA Hams visited E20AX Club Station
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019