Report from Thailand
E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
There will not be a RAST meeting in July 2021
There will not be a meeting of the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST) during the month of July 2021 due to concerns about the upsurge in COVID-19 coronavirus infections in Thailand and for compliance with limitations that have been imposed on public meetings in Bangkok for the time being. The pandemic has continued to worsen and many provinces are now under lockdown.
RAST hopes that all members stay safe and remain in good health and that the society will be able to host another meeting again soon after the incidence of the pandemic has subsided.
E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021
E2HQ 2020 Certificate
The Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST) has once again participated in the IARU HF World Championship 2021 during 10-11th July. The Championship is hosted every year by the International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) in order to support and promote ham operators, as well as all the societies that are members of the IARU around the world, to connect with each other on the 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 m bands in SSB and CW modes. The member-societies usually participated under their corresponding headquarter (HQ) callsigns.
This year, RAST members across the country joined in to form E2HQ team for 2021. The team consisted of E2ØEHQ, E2ØMDN, E23NEZ, E24NQN, E25ETT, E29THF, HSØKRM, HS0ZEE, HS3NBR, HS5NMF, HS6MYW, HS8HEX, and HS8JWH.
Given that the contest was held in July which is the beginning of the monsoon season in Thailand, it was not a surprise when various stations reported thunderstorms and poor propagation. Despite this, the team shouldered as best they could. The raw score was as follow:
In addition, Dr. Jack Hantongkam, HS1FVL also joined in the contest as the IARU Region 3 Director to give out his Multiplier “R3”. Over 280 QSOs were made, and his raw score was as follow:
RAST continues to host “RAST TALKS” for the 5th consecutive months. On 28th June 2021, RAST invited back Mr. Sutat Prathomnupong, the NECTEC Consultant on Electric Vehicle Conversion, to give the members more insights on “Batteries, Part 2”.
Another news that rocked the city of Bangkok on the 5th July 2021 is the huge explosion followed by a big gulf of fire that destroyed a plastic foam and pellets factory as well as the surrounding communities in Bang Phli District, not so far from Suvarnabhumi Airport. A 5km-exclusion zone was ordered as flames continued to erupt intermittently from underground tanks. 50 tons of chemicals were stored on the premises and there were fears that the fire could reach a nearby storage site that was holding another 20,000 litres of flammable liquid. Over 40 casualties were reported and more than 80,000 people were evacuated from the area. After two days, the fire was put out.
A tragedy of such scale requires monumental efforts from all sides and the vital part of any emergency is good communication. On 12th July 2021, RAST invited Mr. Jakkarin Sunthong E21CED, Executive Chairman of Bang Phli Amateur Radio Club Station E21AN, who was also one of the volunteer rescuers onsite, to give members a first-hand account of the event, lessons that could be learnt from the tragedy, and roles that amateur radio could play.
In addition, RAST also organised a Q&A session on 2m repeater frequency 145.6375MHz where any ham operator can come and discuss or ask any questions regarding amateur radio at 1400UTC. On 14th July 2021, the session was held by Dr. Jack Harntongkam HS1FVL, RAST president, and Mr. Atipat Suriyarangsee HS2PID, President of Radio Amateur Society in Rayong Province HS2AR. On 18th July 2021, the session was held by Dr. Jack Harntongkam HS1FVL, RAST president, and Mr. Saiwej Molee E20OMN, President of Radio Amateur Society in Petchaburi Province HS7AP.
RAST 40 Metre Net
RAST is holding a weekly 40 Metre Net every Saturday on 7.128MHz ±QRM at 1300UTC, whereby RAST members take it in turn to be the Net Control, under the callsign HS0AC.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019