Report from Thailand
HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC
BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC
Figure 1. A group photo from all the lecturers and participants “Understanding the HF Frequency Usage for the Development of Amateur Radio Operators” seminars, co-hosted by the NBTC and RAST, on 17th December 2022
The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), Thailand’s regulator, together with the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST) co-hosted the HF-101 seminar to further enhance the understanding of amateur radio on the HF bands on Saturday 17th December 2022 at the NBTC Meeting Room, in downtown Bangkok.
Figure 2. “Use of Frequency, Rules, Regulations, and Ethics on HF Bands” conducted by Dr. Jakkree Hantongkom (HS1FVL), President of RAST
Figure 3. “Propagation of Radio Waves” conducted by Mr. Apiwat Jirawattanaphol (HS4SCI) and Assist. Prof. Umnart Sathanon (E25GGT)
The project titled “Understanding the HF Frequency Usage for the Development of Amateur Radio Operators” was aimed at HAM operators who have recently passed the Intermediate or Advanced Amateur Radio License examinations. Lecturers are all members of RAST. A total of 120 HAM operators as well as 30 staff from the NBTC Office joined the event.
Figure 4. (L-R) Champ Muangamphun (E21EIC), Mr. Anucha Kongkla (HS3BPY) Director of Licensing for Government Agencies and International Organizations Division, Dr. Jakkree Hantongkom (HS1FVL) President of RAST, and Mr. Pipat Bumrungkarn (E23PPP) Director of Consumer and Public Interest Division
Figure 5. The atmosphere outside the conference room with amateur radio equipment and awards on display
The list of topics and their lecturers included:
Figure 6. “Internationally Recognised Operating Procedures in Various Forms of Communication” conducted by Mr. Pornchai Semjang (HS2JFW)
Figure 7. “Distant Emergency Radio Communication: Understanding and Preparation of AREC station” by Mr. Bhudit Jirardhanakun (E23NEZ), Mr. Nikorn Deesai (HS5NMF), and Mr. Palakorn Noppaketjaras (HS0KRM)
All the topics provide an extremely important groundwork for ham operators looking to start their journey on the HF bands aside from the theoretical aspect already covered in their examination course. In addition, the NBTC Officers had the opportunity to learn more about what amateur radio is and the value that it can bring in terms of education and emergency communication.
Outside the conference room, various stands were put up to show case the APRS system, portable antennas, morse keys, oscillators, DXCC Awards including DXCC Challenge and DXCC Honor Roll, plaques from major contests such as CQ WPX and CQ WW, QSL cards from 350+ DXCC entities, and DXpedition photo books compiled by Franz Langner DJ9ZB. All these were viewed with great interest by the participants.
Figure 9. The final slide from Champ E21EIC presentation with reference to Uncle Franz DJ9ZB who always remind him that “HAM radio makes friends”.
We would like to thank NBTC and RAST for hosting such good activity for the amateur radio community.
BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
Figure 10. Bun Vichitcheep (E25KAE) at BV2Y Club Station in Taipei on 6th December 2022
From 30th November - 10th December 2022, Bun E25KAE, Chairman of the 19th IARU Region 3 Conference, travelled to Taiwan for a family holiday. The afternoon and evening of 6th December was solely dedicated to amateur radio. With the help of David Kao BV2FP, the Secretary General of CTARL, Bun E25KAE became the first Thai amateur radio operator to gain a temporary license to operate in Taiwan under the callsign BW/E25KAE.
Figure 11. (L-R) David Kao (BV2FP), Mickey Yang (BV2LB) President of Mintron Enterprise Co., Ltd., and Bun (E25KAE) at Mintron Enterprise Building in Wugu, Taipei
Figure 12. Bun (E25KAE) operating on 15m SSB under BW/E25KAE from BV2Y Club Station
At 1pm on Tuesday 6th December, Bun E25KAE together with David BV2FP visited BV2Y CTARL Headquarter Club Station in Wugu which is located on the top floor of Mintron Enterprise Co., Ltd. This same building is also used to hold the US FCC examination in Taipei where two Thai candidates had previously flown here to take part in the exam in 2019. Bun E25KAE was welcomed by Mickey Yang BV2LB, President of Mintron Enterprise Co., Ltd. as well as Ken Hoshino BW2/JP1RIW the BV2Y Station and QSL Manager. Bun E25KAE operated from 0600-0800z on 15m band SSB and logged over 130 QSOs from JA, EU, Asia, and one station from South America, LU9HAT.
Figure 13. Bun (E25KAE) operating on 15m SSB under BW/E25KAE from BV2Y Club Station
Figure 14. (L-R) Ken Hoshino (BW2/JP1RIW), Bun (E25KAE), and David Kao (BV2FP) on top of Mintron Enterprise Building in Wugu, Taipei with an array of antennas visible in the background
After the visit to CTARL HQ, Bun E25KAE enjoyed a delicious Hakka cuisine hosted by Bill Lo BX3AC with her father and David BV2FP. Some of the dishes include omelets with holy basil, steamed chicken with Yuzu orange sauce, stir-fried chitlins with ginger, stir fried lotus stems, fried fish with tofu, and hog maws with pickled cabbage soup.
Figure 15. Weekly gathering of CTARL Northern Region at Huazhong Riverside Park on 6th December 2022 including BU2DM, BX2AN, BU2DC, BO2AB, BO2YA, BX2AM, BM2INK, BM2JRO, BV2NT, BX2AB, BV2BJ, BV2GC, BX3AC, and BV2FP. Everybody had the chance to operate some SSB and CW with Champ E21EIC and Mew E29TGW in Thailand from BX2AN portable station and his 40m EFHW.
At 8pm Bun E25KAE joined the weekly gathering of CTARL Northern Region at Huazhong Riverside Park with 14 CTARL members including BU2DM, BX2AN, BU2DC, BO2AB, BO2YA, BX2AM, BM2INK, BM2JRO, BV2NT, BX2AB, BV2BJ, BV2GC, BX3AC, and BV2FP. She received a very warm welcome from everybody particularly Mr Sam Young BV2GC, President of CTARL Northern Region. The group was working on setting up personal MMDVM hotspots that enable HAMs to connect to an array of digital radio networks (D-STAR, DMR, Yaesu Fusion etc) with their handheld device. Afterwards, Bun E25KAE took the opportunity to try out BX2AN portable station on 40m band. The crowd got very excited when the contacts with HS stations were established with “59” signal using just a simple EFHW at 8mH, and everybody took turn to work Champ E21EIC and Mew E29TGW on SSB and CW. Particular mention to Mr Lee BX2AB, a Taiwanese Marine CW operator for over 50 years, who displayed his incredible skill on the paddles.
Figure 16. (L-R) Bill Lo (BX3AC) and Bun (E25KAE)
Figure 17. (L-R) David Kao (BV2FP), Bun (E25KAE), her father, and Bill Lo (BX3AC) enjoying Hakka cuisine hosted by Bill
Bun E25KAE would like to thank everybody for giving her the warmest welcome, especially to Bill BX3AC and David BV2FP for being an excellent host. And special thanks to Champ E21EIC for his behind-the-scene effort and making sure this trip was a success.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- IARU R3 YOTA Camp Pattaya, Thailand
- Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
- JA Hams visited E20AX Club Station
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019