Report from Thailand
Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
The June 6th–7th COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a “great success,” its sponsors said, with more than 6,000 participants worldwide. The number of logs submitted by June 12th exceeded 800, with more arriving ahead of the June 15 deadline. Stations in more than 120 countries participated, and STAYHOME-suffix stations in Finland logged some 132,000 contacts.
“As the COVID-19 pandemic is in different phases in different countries, this is not the finish of the STAYHOME campaign, as only parts of Europe and North America are slowly taking steps towards a normal life,” the events sponsors said. A final report for the early-June event will be released in a few weeks, followed by a prize lottery. “The COVID-19 Radio Communication Event was a global virtual amateur radio gathering, passing well-being messages among radio operators worldwide, thus sharing the airwaves during this unfortunate global pandemic and promoting a sense of belonging and mental health,” the event organizers concluded.
Niko, OH2GEK op OH2STAYHOME from the OH2BH station.
STAYHOME category was won by ZW5STAYHOMNE team headed by Oms, PY5EG with 4,050 QSOs, followed by OH2STAYHOME team headed by young op OH2GEK, 34 years old with 3,768 QSOs and Asia E2STAYHOME by E21EIC 660 QSOs (Life is not easy volume wise in AS).
Oms PY5EG and Peter PY5CC op ZW5STAYHOME on FT8
About W2I/STAYHOME, isn’t it wonderful that we had STAYHOMES delighting the lives in all continents? THE NEW TRAINING OF NEW YORK AIR SIGNALM MAMMOTH W2I/STAYHOME A group of four young NYCDXA operators - New York City DX Association (https://www.qrz.com/db/w2ndx/), Chris KE2A, Alain K1FM, Jason WF2N, and Neil N5EIL operated for 24 hours as W2/STAYHOME from a remote station located in the easternmost city in the USA, Eastport, ME over the weekend of June 6th and 7th, 2020.
The team thanks RHR team and Ray Higgins, W2RE, for sponsoring this event and for allowing young operators to access the station to support this unique event, which would otherwise be difficult to do in their apartments in the city from New York.
The young team added an extra high-tech touch to the operation, setting up a server for live updates on ClubLog and real-time broadcast on YouTube.
W8I/STAYSAFE ended with 1641 QSOs (+/-). We had 6 ops at 5 stations, but 4 of the 6 were on only for a bit here-and-there, including some FT8. At the opening bell we had 5/4, but WX3B worked us and then joined a little later for an hour or two. Every little bit helps.
Ops: K3ZJ K2GO N3QE W4RN WX3B K3TN. K2GO operated W4RN remotely from Inchon, S. Korea, while in 14-day quarantine.
STATIONS: Although our stations are in three states (K3ZJ is in WV, W4RN in VA, and N3QE, K3TN and WX3B in MD), we all are within a 73-km circle. (The stations most distant from each other, K3ZJ and WX3B, are 145 km apart.)
MARKET REEF, OJØA/OJØJR was active as part of the COVID-19 event. Henri, OH3JR landed on the rocks the Friday before the event and, without further ado, he hosted a variety of wires to make QRV the OJØA call code as a multiplier in CW, SSB and FT8. Lots of things needed to fit in for OJ0A to appear from the sea-plated lighthouse.
Henri OH3JR/OJ0JR op OJ0A in “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event
PY5EG, Team Brazil ZW5STAYHOME:
We operated with the call sign ZW5STAYHOME with three different teams.
CW TEAM – PY2NDX (Rafa) PY2YU (Tom) and PY2ZEA (Ville)
SSB TEAM – PY2LED (Fernando) PY2DY (Tony) and PY2PT (Ricardo)
DIGITAL – PY5EG (Oms) PY5CC(Peter)It was a total of 4032 QSOs, 119 countries, and 36 zones as shown below.
Ville PY2ZEA/OH2MM op ZW5STAYHOME on CW from PS2T station
9M2ZAK, Team Malaysia 9M4STAYHOME:
The Malaysian Amateur Radio Transmitters’ Society (MARTS) has been issued the special event callsign 9M4STAYHOME to support and promote social distancing and encouraging people to stay within their homes to prevent the spread of Covid-19. We were very grateful to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) in supporting this initiative. This station has been activated since May 12th, 2020 until August 11th, 2020, and MARTS has entrusted Nazmi Julaini (9M2MDX) to manage this historic and memorable event. 9M4STAYHOME made a total of 230 QSOs.
9M4STAYHOME main operators:
Zaki 9M2ZAK op 9M4STAYHOME on CW
Wan, 9W2XWU op 9M4STAYHOME on SSB
Mul, 9W6MUL op 9M4STAYHOME on FT8
E21EIC, Team Thailand E2STAYHOME:
Our team include 3 people: E29TGW operated in CW mode, E24OYI operated in FT8 and myself E21EIC in SSB mode. The weather condition was not so good. It was raining most of the time until the evening. We had to stop operating once but we were trying to do our best within 24 hours period of the contest. E2STAYHOME made a total of 660 QSOs with 69 countries and 182 QSOs with Japan.
Champ, E21EIC op E2STAYHOME on SSB
Mew, E29TGW op E2STAYHOME on CW
Tony, E24OYI op E2STAYHOME on FT8
“STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event Sponsors included the Finnish Amateur Radio League, the Araucaria DX Group, and Radio Arcala OH8X.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- IARU R3 YOTA Camp Pattaya, Thailand
- Dxpeditions, US FCC Examination, CQ World Wide DX Contest 2023, etc.
- JA Hams visited E20AX Club Station
- JARL HAM FAIR 2023
- World Radiosport Team Championship WRTC 2022 (2023) Bologna, Italy, 4-11 July 2023
- Friedrichshafen Ham Radio Fair 2023
- Parks on the Air in Thailand
- RAST on The Beach 4
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part II) A great loss for amateur radio
- Fred Laun K3ZO Silent Key (Part I) A great loss for amateur radio
- HF Amateur Radio Seminars Hosted by RAST and NBTC BW/E25KAE, The First Thai HAM Operator in Taiwan
- CQ World-Wide DX Contest SSB & CW 2022 from Ban Ta Bong (The Center of the World)
- POTA Activations in Thailand by JJ1DQR,
Advanced Class Examination for Thai Amateur Radio Licenses
- HS3NBR/p Maeo Island IOTA AS-145,
16th – 19th September 2022
- JARL HAM FAIR 2022
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019