Report from Thailand
FCC Amateur Radio License Exam.
RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary.
Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI.
FCC Amateur Radio License Exam
Thai VE Team and Candidates
As the first weekend of December of 2020 was a long public holiday, coupled with the need to take social distancing into consideration with the arrival of the second wave of COVID-19 infection in Thailand, it was deemed necessary to cancel the monthly meeting held by Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST), as well as the new year party that had originally been scheduled for January 2021.
RAST President, HS1FVL/AF1VL introduced FCC Amateur Radio License Exam
The 4th and final round of US FCC Amateur Radio Examination in Thailand for 2020 was held on 19th December 2020 at King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang. 25 Volunteer Examiners (VE) of RAST’s Thai VE Team were present to ensure the smooth running of the operation. As per the government’s guideline, everybody including the exam candidates were pre-screened for COVID-19 with a thermo-scanner to minimise the risk of infection.
This session saw a total of 24 candidates, 15 of whom passed the examination that day: 6 Technician Class, 5 General Class, and 4 Extra Class. Those who have passed the General or Extra Class can use their newly obtained FCC Licenses to upgrade their respective Thai Amateur Radio License to Intermediate or Advanced level accordingly.
RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
RAST team with Forest officers
Dan HS0KRN and Nikorn HS5NMF
On 26th December 2020, the Radio Amateur Society of Thailand under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King (RAST), donated a 24-inch tower in 30 sections that was deconstructed from HS0AC station as well as transceivers and other telecommunication equipment to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary, a World Heritage Site, and Khao Nang Rum Wildlife Research Station in Lan Sak District, Uthai Thani. The ceremony was carried out by RAST representatives including HS5NMF, HS0KRM, E22UYH and others. RAST recognises the importance of utilising the currently available resources to maximise social benefits, particularly for wildlife conservation and environmental protection. Equipped with these equipments, RAST hopes that the Huai Kha Khaeng sanctuary will remain a thriving habitatto all species and offer the needed protection to conserve the biodiversity.
E22UYH, HS0KRM, HS5NMF
Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
When talking about the King of Antenna, our thoughts automatically go to a strange looking square-shaped object that does not mind so much about the height, yet can still achieve relatively low noise and high gain – the QUAD antenna!
It was time to upgrade Tony’s E24OYI station in the suburb of Bangkok who decided to change from Yagi to Quad antenna with the help of HS1JNB, HS3NBR, E29TGW, E25KAE, E20NKB and E21EIC.
In the morning of 9th January 2021, we began to assemble the antenna. These quad antennas are not small! Due to space limitations, we relied on the use of a 10m telescopic pole to lift the antenna slightly off the ground to help with the assembly process.
Status Quad from Italy is up on the Tower
Because we were all amateurs, it took us the entire day to complete the assembly. Meanwhile, the professional tower climbing team managed to bring down all the original Yagi antennas in a very short amount of time.
The next morning, on 10th January 2021, the same team worked on matching the Quad antenna on all bands and performed some final checks to make sure everything is as good as it can be. The actual installation on the tower took place in the early evening. The professionals orchestrated the entire event and directed us amateur folks to hold the guide ropes. We were responsible for steering the antenna away from structural objects (such as balcony and roof!) and to make sure that the 2EL Quad were well-balanced on either side as it soared through the air towards the tower. By night time, with a great sigh of relief, the installation was successful and with perfect matching! This was indeed confirmed by the giant smile plastered on E24OYI’s face – the new proud owner of 2EL Quad antenna in Thailand.
Report from Thailand backnumber
- Inmemoriam to the former RAST President Mayuree Chotikul, HS1YL,
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in Thailand, etc.
- 45th International Amateur Radio Exhibition in Germany“HAM RADIO FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 2022”
- E20AX/P Mini-IOTA DXpedition to Samet Island (AS-107)
- Easing of Travel Restrictions for Visitors Entering Thailand,
Tribute to Franz Langner, DJ9ZB and Roger Western, G3SXW
- RAST held its General Annual Meeting, May you rest in peace JH1AJT and W7LR
- RAST Annual General Meeting, March 20, 2022
- The First Intermediate License Examination Since COVID-19 Outbreak
- E20AX/p IOTA DXpedition to Chang Island (AS-125)
- CQ World Wide DX Contest CW 2021 from Thailand
- CQ World Wide DX Contest SSB 2021 from Thailand
- The 18th IARU Region 3 Virtual Conference was a success
- Celebrating 400th anniversary of trade relationship between Denmark & Thailand, etc.
- E2HQ RAST Headquarter 2021, etc.
- RAST will host the IARU Region 3 Conference 2021 online in September, etc.
- RAST Talks, RAST CW Challenge Results
- RAST held AGM meeting and hosted New Year Party, NARIT Astro Fest 2021
- RAST CW Challenge
- KMUTNB and RAST welcome Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation & other news.
- FCC Amateur Radio License Exam, RAST Donated a Tower to Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary,Installation of 2EL Quad at E24OYI
- RAST & G. SIMON BALLOON FESTIVAL 2020 "E2ICOM"
- RAST HF-101, November RAST meeting
- NBTC and RAST presented the callsign HS10A to His Majesty the King
- RAST hosts August meeting at an open-air restaurant
US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination at KMITL, Bangkok, Thailand
- E2HQ RAST-Headquarter, Spirit of the 2020 IARU HF World Championship
Installation of E24EZ, The first DMR Repeater in Thailand
- Global COVID-19 “STAYHOME” Radio Communication Event was a great success
- E2STAYHOME, RAST COVID-19 Special Event
E21EIC inducted into CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame
COVID-19 RADIO COMMUNICATION EVENT
- The E21EIC Station Antenna System Improved for Competition
- RAST Annual General Meeting
April RAST meeting cancelled, YOTA event is postponed
- RAST installs IGATEs to expand the APRS network in Thailand
- First US FCC Amateur Radio License Examination in 2020
- Thailand Amateur Radio Day 2019